Monday 18 July 2011

Planes, Trains and Racing Cars




One of my New Year's resolutions was to take more time off for riding during the week.  Young family means family stuff at the weekends so no time for riding (usually).  Today was a day for riding not working.

So what route to choose?  Maximum riding means from the door and a couple of weeks ago I'd ridden with some people from JustGoRide around Ticknall (about 25 miles from home).  During that route we came across a lovely looking bivvy spot with rocks and caves and everything.  So I did some route planning which was 'improved' by Pete to get me there for a possible future bivvy night.

Route in the good old GPS and off I go - into the rain :(

I had the iPhone on with endomondo running which worked really well.  It's an App that tracks your progress and gives you updates on your speed and distance.  But the really great thing is that it shows your position on a web based map and your invited Friends can shout messages at you and they come through the headphones!  Also good to know that people are keeping an eye on you if you're out on your own.

Rain stopped after about 30 mins and so did my existing trail knowledge.  Working off the GPS I managed to get the wrong side of the canal and nearly had to swim.  I backed up and 5 mins later 'Bridge Closed' - can't mean me... Ah! no bridge at all.  Back track then over barbed wire fence onto road - YAY!  Another level crossing closure and I was finally in Castle Donnington.

Leicetershire are rubbish at footpath maintenance.  Loads of overgrown footpaths and lack of signs.  I could hear engines in the distance though.  That meant Donnington Park Racetrack.  It must have been a trackday as there was a good mix of cars on there, few porsches, few MX5's.  Found my way round the track and across a few wheat fields onto much needed tarmac again.



Melbourne looks like a fancy town with lots of shops painted in National Trust colours - Taupe, moss green etc - no decent coffee shop tho - rubbish.  A business opportunity there for someone.  I carried on to Ticknall hoping for caffeine.  The village shop did 'cappuccino' (frothy instant) and a 1 lb slice of toffee flapjack (1000 calories at least).

Only a couple more miles to the bivvy spot.  Beautiful quiet spot with caves and ready made campfire places but could be an early dog walker route.



Packed lunch finished, time to head back via the East Midlands Airport flight path.  I checked out the lovely looking (on the map) track round the airport - no good - lots of Private signs :(

Back on familiar ground I made up for the earlier delays with the help of a tailwind

56 miles in 5 and a half hrs - good day off!

3 comments:

  1. So my 'improved' route plotting was not so good then? :-(

    How was the bivvy spot? I reckon it might be a bit too popular and not secluded enough?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few issues with the improved route!

    The bivvy spot would be great if it wasn't so close to the road :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somebody mentioned Ingleby Caves - any idea where they are Pete?

    ReplyDelete