Tuesday 24 May 2011

It was all going so well...



Had a great ride on Sunday with www.natsmtb.com . Simon was leading and I managed to get a last minute pass out to ride all day. 30 miles from Rowsley in the White Peak. Up hill and down Dale. 25 riders started out and with such a large group it was fairly steady progress, but it was nice to chat to everyone at the top of the climbs. Lots of ladies out on Sunday too. Probably about 7 out of 25, always nice to see.

I was feeling good all ride and persuaded 6 others to do an extra climb to finish over Carlton Lees

Stiff legs on Sunday night but otherwise all was well.

Monday I had booked the day off to do a big ride. So I was up and out with the family and onto the trails. A ride along the river is always lovely first thing in the morning and with miles of trails ahead of me for the day I was in good spirits.



I was pushing to keep the heart rate up and standing up on all the hills. I got to the point where I was as far from home as I was going to get, then it happened.

Oh, what was that? A knee twinge? No, can't be.

There it was again...

Yes, definitely something going on. What happens if I do this? That? Hmmmm not good.

OK I'll just do this next bit of singletrack then I'll head back. Maybe just another little bit, right definitely going back now cos it's getting a bits stingy down there. Finally limped home into a heavy headwind at half one. Iced the calf / knee and cursed.

More icing and worrying in the evening. Wait and see what its like tomorrow...

It's stiff and sore first thing. Get to work, ring physio. Physio booked for 2pm. Carly, not seen her before.

Carly is my new favourite physio.

She diagnosed a calf strain of the big (can't remember the name) muscle. Then she started on it with her mega thumbs. Excruciating pain for what seemed for ever. I knew it must be good for me so I grinned and bared it then she stuck some needles in it then microwaved it for good measure. A good going over. I do like a hands on physio.

www.advance-physiotherapy.com if you're in Nottingham. Recommended.

Stretches and ice discussed. Next appointment booked for Friday, no cycling til then but maybe Friday afternoon if I've been good...

3 comments:

  1. Ouch, not good! Don't go getting on a bike again before you are ready! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete - I'll take it easy!
    Guru - I hope so too :)

    ReplyDelete